A little over 1/24th of the way through this experiment! Today I went to a birthday party and the cake actually looked sort of weird so I guess I’ve detoxed? I’m not sure. But this whole thing honestly isn’t all that hard. Which surprises me. What have I noticed?
- Sleep is pretty awesome. I get tired around 9:30 and am out at 10 all the time (kind of annoying on weekends) and am up without my alarm at 5:45 (also kind of annoying on weekends but not bad overall!)
- I’m exercising a ton and doing some pretty challenging things but still wanting more. I’m not sure if this is trying to sub the sugar high for an endorphin high or what, but I worked out 6 out of 7 days last week and kind of felt like I could have gone 7 for 7.
- Carbs are my FRIEND. Adding in oats for breakfast and even Larabars when I work out has kept my energy up. So I’m learning that I need to experiment with what works for MY body but vilifying carbohydrates I think was a bad idea.
- Not sure if there is any change in my body composition. I haven’t weighed myself since the day I started and after a little while that felt fine. Some days I feel leaner, and I guess I am wearing my smallest jeans but since I’m with me all the time I don’t really know. I feel good, though, and it’s pretty doubtful I’ve gained weight even though I eat a LOT of food
- Speaking of, I’ve been pretty consistently eating about 1800 calories, with 40% from carbs, 30% from protein and 30% from fat. I eat when I’m hungry, which I think in part from the kinds of exercises I’m doing (crossfit, boot camp, trail running, stadium seat running) is a LOT. But I’m consistently satisfied with what I’m eating
- Real food tastes sweeter. I also ditched artificial sweeteners, so I notice how sweet berries are, oats have a sweetness too, as do raw almonds. Yum.
- I do sense that I’m normalizing. I’m not bored with what I’m eating. I actually really love what I’m eating so that’s good.
The only thing that’s a little weird is I’ve still been kind of tired late in the day. It may be that my body is a little run down from the tough workouts? Or maybe that I’m drinking a bit more black coffee than I used to be? But, like, I’m yawning now and it’s 5:30pm. Not sure what the deal is there.
A friend gave me an Rx Bar after our trail run on Saturday morning (at SEVEN AM…told you the exercise is getting pretty crazy). I’m adding them in and seeing how I do. Larabars and Rx Bars seem like great, non chemical things to use when I work out or hike. Speaking of hiking, this weekend’s 4 mountains got ditched on account of icy conditions and rain. Next weekend will be another 4 mountains, though. Bring it on!
(Also, not for nothing I’ve brushed and flossed at night every night for 5 nights. I’m embarrassed to admit I was a once a day brusher and a never flosser. My last dentist appointment tells me it’s time to change.)